At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
UNSW Medicine is a national leader in learning, teaching and research, with close affiliations to a number of Australia’s finest hospitals, research institutes and health care organisations. With a strong presence at UNSW Kensington campus, the faculty have staff and students in teaching hospitals in Sydney as well as regional and rural areas of NSW including Albury/Wodonga, Wagga Wagga, Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie.
The Centre for Big Data Research in Health (CBDRH) aims to improve the health of the population through research using large-scale electronic data that integrates information about biology, clinical care, health services and the social and physical environments The CBDRH is in a rapid growth phase at present. There are currently around 30 academic staff, 7 professional staff members and 12 HDR students.
The functions of CBDRH are to:
- Foster and develop innovation in health data science
- Undertake high impact, high-quality and multi-disciplinary health and medical research using big data
- Facilitate the rapid translation of research findings into health improvements and better value in health care
- Build multi-disciplinary capacity in health research using big data
- Promote public, clinical and policy awareness of the health and societal benefits of research using big data
About the roles
- Multiple Fixed-term, Part Time & Full time positions ranging from 1 – 2 years in duration
- Academic Level A or B: $75, 069 - $ 123, 908 (+ 9.5% or 17% superannuation and leave loading)
CBDRH currently has four research units (see https://cbdrh.med.unsw.edu.au), and is establishing a fifth unit, focused on the application of machine learning to health data. The Research Associate/Research Fellow will provide support across projects within the Research Units in the Centre for Big Data Research in Health.
Please refer to the job description for a detailed list of responsibilities found through the applying link below.
About the successful applicant
- Degree in biostatistics, epidemiology, computer science, applied statistics or a related discipline, or undergraduate degree with relevant research experience.
- Strong understanding of theory and methods relating to the design of epidemiological studies and the statistical analysis of health-related data.
- Demonstrated experience in the management and analysis of large complex health data-sets and the analysis of linked, longitudinal data and/or electronic medical records.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with proven ability to build successful working relationships with a variety of people, both internal and external.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the strictest confidentiality when dealing with sensitive data and an understanding of ethical principles relating to privacy and confidentiality
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training
Level B (in addition to the above)
- Postgraduate degree in biostatistics, epidemiology, computer science, applied statistics or a related discipline
- Excellent track record of research in a related discipline, which has resulted in peer-reviewed publications.
- Highly developed data analysis skills and experience in use of several statistical packages.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualise novel research questions in areas relevant to public health, health services research, or health informatics and to develop these into research outputs.
- Evidence of an increasing trajectory of research excellence and productivity.
You should systematically address the selection criteria from the position description in your application.
Please apply online through the website using the following link: http://external-careers.jobs.unsw.edu.au/cw/en/job/496764/research-associatefellow-the-centre-for-big-data-research-in-health
Contact for details on the role:
Louise Francis – Centre Manager
Find out more about working at UNSW at https://med.unsw.edu.au/
UNSW is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity