This 5-day short course introduces the topic of the analysis of linked data at an introductory to intermediate level. It acquaints health services researchers, clinical practitioners and managers with the theory and skills needed to analyse linked health data. The modular structure of the course provides participants with a theoretical grounding on each theme, followed by a hands-on practical exercise in our computer lab each day, using de-identified linked NSW data files.
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for people with no previous experience in the analysis of linked health data. However, it does assume familiarity with introductory statistical and epidemiological methods, as taught, for example, in a Master of Public Health degree course. The computing component of the unit also assumes a basic familiarity with computing syntax used in SAS and methods of basic statistical analysis of fixed-format data files. Participants must have this assumed knowledge.
On completion of this short course participants will be able to:
• understand the theory of data linkage methods and features of comprehensive data linkage systems, sufficient to know the sources and limitations of linked health data sets, and in particular those for NSW;
• apply epidemiological principles to the design of studies using linked data;
• construct numerators and denominators for the analysis of disease trends and health care utilisation and outcomes;
• assess the accuracy and reliability of data sources;
• check data linkages and assure the quality of the study process, e.g. consistency of definitions, missing data;
• list the issues to be considered when analysing large linked data files;
• write syntax to prepare linked data files for analysis, derive exposure and outcome variables, relate numerators and denominators and produce results from statistical procedures.
Cost: $3300 including GST.
Discounts are available for a group of participants from the same institution or organisation.
The full course fee must be paid by . Cancellation after this date will incur a fee of $100 per participant for administration.
Venue: Edward Ford Building, University of Sydney, Camperdown
Places are strictly limited so book early to avoid disappointment.
For further details and application form see our website or contact:
T: +61 2 9351 5994