The Australasian Epidemiological Association (AEA) invites applications for the 2018 AEA Early Career Travel Awards and the AEA Mid Career Travel Awards.
Applications close Thursday, 31st May 2018.
There are 3 Early Career awards and 3 Mid Career awards on offer this year; each award is for $2,500 each (i.e. $15,000 total allocation). To reflect the different training and workplaces of epidemiologists and biostatisticians and to improve diversity, we will offer one of these awards to each of the following groups:
- One award for a research-focussed candidate (e.g. University-based)
- One award for a practice-focussed candidate (e.g. based outside the University sector)
- One award for a candidate who identifies as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander or Māori or Pacific Islander.
The purpose of the award is to support travel for professional purposes. The travel may include attendance at conferences, training courses, and collaborative study visits (successful applications usually include two or more of these).
Applications will be assessed relative to opportunity and will be measured according to:
1) impact of the proposed travel on the applicant’s career;
2) the wider impact of the travel (e.g. generating new knowledge, improving population health, advancing or sharing methods, training others, etc.); and
3) track record tailored to the applicant’s experience, including where applicable: awards, publications, grants, translation, fieldwork, NGO work, and contribution to the discipline.
- The applicants must be financial members of AEA at the time of application.
- Previous award recipients may apply but preference will be given to candidates who have not previously received the award.
- The proposed travel must occur after the closing date but within one year of receiving the award. The award will not be conferred retrospectively.
- Voting members of the AEA Council are not eligible to apply.
- AEA Early Career Travel Award: Be currently enrolled in, or within 2 years of completing, a postgraduate coursework or research degree in epidemiology, biostatistics or a related discipline, on the closing date of this application. Career interruptions will be taken into account.
- AEA Mid Career Travel Award: The applicants must have completed a postgraduate coursework or research degree in epidemiology, biostatistics or a related discipline more than 2 years and less than 12 years before the closing date of this application. Career interruptions will be taken into account.
Requirements of Award Recipients:
- Award recipients are requested to write a brief report of one to two paragraphs, following the travel for inclusion in the AEA Bulletin, summarising the outcomes from the award.
- Any publications or presentations supported by the Award should acknowledge the financial contribution of the AEA.